Makes, alters and repairs made-to-measure or ready-to-wear garments such as suits, dresses, coats and other clothing.
The entry requirement for this occupation is an AQF Certificate III or higher qualification.
- confers with customers to determine material, styles and designs of garments
- takes measurements
- drafts garments according to pictures or specifications, or modifies or uses ready-made garment patterns
- grades garment patterns manually or with computerised equipment
- lays out, marks and cuts fabric to specification using cutting machines or scissors
- pins or bastes garment parts and fits basted garments to customers
- adjusts and sews garments
- finishes garments, sews buttonholes, fixes buttons, hooks and other fasteners
- may perform specialised hand and machine sewing
- may operate specialised machinery for designing, cutting and assembling and pressing purposes