There were 44,586 offenders proceeded against by police in South Australia in 2018–19.
Principal offence type
- 6,341 (14%) offenders had a principal offence of assault.
- More than one in three offenders had a principal offence that was illicit drug related (15,486), 64% of illicit drug offences were for possess and/or use illicit drugs.
- The male offender rate was 4,473 per 100,000 males, the female offender rate was 1,359 per 100,000 females.
- 76% of offenders were male, in line with the national total of 76%.
- Just over a third of male (34%) and female offenders (38%) had a principal offence that was illicit drug related.
- There were 3,368 youth offenders.
- Youth offenders decreased by 11% since 2017-18, compared with 7% nationally, to the lowest number of youth offenders for South Australia since the time series began in 2008–09.
- Almost one in five (19%) youth offenders had a principal offence of acts intended to cause injury.