Australian Capital Territory
There were 2,477 offenders recorded in the Australian Capital Territory in 2018–19. The Australian Capital Territory made up less than one percent of all offenders nationally.
Principal offence type
- Around a quarter (26%) of offenders had a principal offence of assault.
- One in seven offenders had a principal offence that was illicit drug related. Illicit drug offenders decreased by 30% since 2017–18.
- The male offender rate was 1,075 per 100,000 males, the female offender rate was 287 per 100,000 females.
- 78% of offenders were male, comparable with the national total of 76%.
- There were 301 youth offenders.
- Youth offenders decreased by 6% since 2017–18, compared with 7% nationally.
- The youth offender rate was 792 offenders per 100,000 persons, which was the lowest rate since the time series began in 2008–09.
- One in four (79 offenders) had a principal offence of acts intended to cause injury.
- There were 3,221 police proceedings.
- 77% (2,471) of police proceedings were court actions.
- More than one in four court actions were for acts intended to cause injury.