MINOR GROUP 324 PANELBEATERS, AND VEHICLE BODY BUILDERS, TRIMMERS AND PAINTERS
PANELBEATERS, AND VEHICLE BODY BUILDERS, TRIMMERS AND PAINTERS repair damage to motor vehicle bodies; construct purpose-built vehicle bodies; fit, repair and replace interior trim and upholstery in vehicles; and paint vehicles.
Fabrication Engineering Trades Workers are excluded from this minor group. Fabrication Engineering Trades Workers are included in Minor Group 322 Fabrication Engineering Trades Workers.
Indicative Skill Level:
Most occupations in this minor group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.
AQF Certificate III including at least two years of on-the-job training, or AQF Certificate IV (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
In New Zealand:
NZQF Level 4 qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
- removing, replacing and repairing damaged panels and parts using mechanical and hydraulic equipment
- filling depressions with plastic filler and chiselling and sanding surfaces
- constructing framework sections in metal, wood, fibreglass and other materials using stretching and shrinking machines and welding equipment
- bolting, screwing, riveting and welding sections together to form complete frameworks
- cutting and shaping panels of sheetmetal, aluminium and reinforced plastic and attaching to frameworks using hand and power tools
- preparing new vehicle trim work according to drawings and sketches, and removing old coverings and fittings from vehicles and taking new measurements
- selecting and cutting pieces of fabric, vinyl and leather and sewing pieces together using heavy-duty sewing machines
- installing and attaching interior lining, floor coverings, armrests, door trims, rubber seals, locks and handles
- masking areas not to be painted by covering with masking tape and paper
- selecting and mixing paint shades to match vehicle colour
- applying primer and finish coats with spray-guns, and sanding surfaces between coats