There were 146,932 deaths registered in Australia in 2011. This was 3,459 (2.4%) more than the number registered in 2010 (143,473). The standardised death rate (SDR) in 2011 was 5.6 deaths per 1,000 standard population. This continues a steady decline in the standardised death rate over the past decade from 6.6 deaths per 1,000 in 2001, and is slightly lower than the 2010 rate (5.7 deaths per 1,000). See Explanatory Note 42 for further information on standardised death rates.
Males accounted for 75,330 (51.3%) deaths registered in 2011, and females accounted for the remaining 71,602 deaths (48.7%). The sex ratio (male deaths per 100 female deaths) has been gradually declining over the past decade, down from 108.3 in 2001 to 105.2 in 2011, although this is a slight increase from 105.0 in 2010.
Further details on numbers of deaths registered can be found in Deaths, Australia, 2011 (cat. no. 3302.0).