THE FAMILY - QUESTIONS 5 & 6
Snippet - "Did you know that the number of people living in one parent families or living alone is increasing?"
WHY ARE THEY ASKED?
Answers to these questions provide a national picture of the composition of Australian families. This is vital to the planning of support services and housing.
The Census information will show social changes, for example changes in the number of:
HOW TO ANSWER
Q5 Mark one box for each person. If more than one response applies mark only the box that shows the relationship that most closely applies.
Only mark ‘Unrelated flatmate or co-tenant’ of Person 1 if no other relationship exists. For example, if you are sharing a flat with your de facto partner, mark ‘De facto partner of Person 1’ rather than the flatmate category.
Q6 This question is about the person’s registered marital status.
Mark only the box that refers to the current situation, for example:
- People living together as married couples
- People living together as de facto partners
- People living alone.
- If the person is divorced or widowed and has remarried, then mark ‘Married’
- If the person is divorced and has not remarried, mark ‘Divorced’, even if the person lives in a de facto relationship.
- If the person is in a de facto relationship and has not been in a registered marriage, mark ‘Never married’.