5900.0.00.003 - University output measures in the Australian National Accounts: experimental estimates, 2008 to 2017  
Latest ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 28/09/2020  First Issue
   Page tools: Print Print Page Print all pages in this productPrint All

Sensitivity of teaching/research aggregation weights


As indicated earlier, there is currently no way to meaningfully split those academics engaged to perform 'combined' teaching and research services into separate underlying teaching and research components. This paper assumes that these academics spend, on average, 75% of their time on teaching, with the remaining 25% allocated to research.

Two additional models have been estimated. Model 1 shows the result of assuming these academics allocate 50% of their time to teaching with the remaining 50% allocated to research. Model 2 shows the result of assuming these academics spend 100% of their time on teaching. Both models are compared to the 'baseline' method outlined earlier and are illustrated in Figure 6.

Allocating 50% 'combined' academics' time to teaching adds 2.4 percentage points to cumulative university output growth over the time period, while allocating 100% to teaching subtracts 2.4 percentage points from growth over the period.

Figure 6: Sensitivity of teaching/research aggregation weights
Figure 6 shows Sensitivity of teaching/research aggregation weights


Back to top of the page