4602.0 - Environmental Issues: People's Views and Practices, Mar 2007  
ARCHIVED ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 06/12/2007  Final
   Page tools: Print Print Page Print all pages in this productPrint All


Any responsible adult

Any person 15 years or over, a usual resident of the dwelling and whose next birthday was closest to the date of the interview responding on behalf of the selected person or household.


Two people in a registered or de facto marriage, who usually live in the same household.

Dependent children

All persons aged under 15 years; and people aged 15-24 years who are full-time students, have a parent in the household and do not have a partner or child of their own in the household.


A suite of rooms contained within a building which are self-contained and intended for long-term residential use. To be self-contained, the suite of rooms must possess cooking and bathing facilities as building fixtures. Examples of types of dwelling include: separate house; semi-detached, row or terrace house or townhouse; flat, unit or apartment; and other dwellings, including caravan, cabin, houseboat, and house or flat attached to a shop.


Two or more people, one of whom is at least 15 years of age, who are related by blood, marriage (registered or de facto), adoption, step or fostering, and who usually live in the same household. A separate family is formed for each married couple, or for each set of parent-child relationships where only one parent is present.

Grey water

Water reused from waste water sourced from shower or bath, laundry or kitchen.

Group household

A household consisting of two or more unrelated people where all people are aged 15 years and over. There are no reported couple relationships, parent-child relationships or other blood relationships in these households.


A group of residents of a dwelling who share common facilities and meals or who consider themselves to be a household. It is possible for a dwelling to contain more than one household, for example, where regular provision is made for groups to take meals separately and where persons consider their households to be separate.

Lone person household

A household consisting of a person living alone.

Multiple family household

A household containing two or more families. Unrelated individual may also be present.

Non-family household

Consists of unrelated people only. A non-family household can be either a person living alone or a group household.

One family household

A household containing only one family. Unrelated individuals may also be present.

One parent, one family household

A one family household comprising a lone parent with at least one dependent or non-dependent child. The household may also include other relatives and unrelated individuals.

Other one family household

A household comprising:

  • one couple, with their non-dependent child(ren) only
  • one couple, with or without their non-dependent child(ren), plus other relatives
  • one couple, with or without their non-dependent child(ren), plus unrelated individuals
  • one parent, with his/her non-dependent child(ren), with or without relatives and unrelated individuals or
  • two or more related individuals where the relationship is not a couple relationship or a parent-child relationship (e.g. two brothers)

Rainwater collected in other container

The use of bins, wine barrels, buckets etc. to collect rainwater, by either leaving the container out in the rain, or by placing container under the down pipes of the house.

Private dwelling

A dwelling that is intended to have people live in it (e.g. house, flat, unit, caravan, houseboat, tent, etc.).

Special dwelling

An establishment that provides predominantly short-term accommodation for communal or group living and often provides common eating facilities (e.g. hotels, motels, hospitals, prisons, short-stay caravan parks, etc.). Persons living in special dwellings were excluded from the scope of this survey.

Sufficient supply

Enough water in the tank to meet the specific needs of the household. If the water tank was installed to water the vegetable patch and there was enough water in the tank to water the vegetable patch, there was sufficient supply, or if the tank supplies all household water requirements and there was enough water to meet the needs of the household.

Usual residents

Persons who usually live in a particular private dwelling and regard it as their own or main home. Excludes usual residents who were away from the dwelling for more than six weeks altogether and visitors to the dwelling who do not usually live there, do not regard it as their own or main home, but are temporarily staying there.

Water saving modification

This is the installation of a flow restrictor or water aerator on the taps, which reduces the flow rate of water from that tap.