APPENDIX 4 VOCATIONAL EDUCATION AND TRAINING
VOCATIONAL EDUCATION TRAINING (VET)
VET is a national system designed to skill workers in particular industries e.g. plumbing, retail etc. It forms part of the broader educational network in Australia that includes schools, universities and adult and community education. The fundamental elements of the system are:
- The Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF). The AQF defines all nationally recognised qualifications. People completing VET courses can be accredited with Certificates I-IV, Diploma, Advanced Diploma, Vocational Graduate Certificate and Vocational Graduate Diploma. The achievement of a group of competencies leads to the attainment of a VET qualification;
- The Australian Quality Training Framework (AQTF). This sets national standards for the Australian vocational education and training system;
- Registered training organisations (RTOs). Training organisations must meet the criteria prescribed by the AQTF to become registered. Only registered training organisations can issue AQF qualifications and deliver accredited training and assessment;
" State and Territory registering authorities. Registering authorities in each state and territory are responsible for registering and monitoring training organisations and ensuring that they comply with AQTF standards. They also accredit vocational education and training courses (VET) and approve training organisations' delivery of VET for overseas students.
VET courses cover:
- basic life skills, even literacy and numeracy training (e.g. pre-vocational training or foundation studies);
- Australian Apprenticeships and traineeships;
- basic vocational skills for particular occupations (e.g. floristry, automotive);
- semi-professional vocational training (e.g. business advertising, occupational health and safety);
- Degrees with a practical focus (e.g. viticulture, music, hospitality).
Further information on VET can be found at the following link. This includes a short presentation on VET in schools: http://www.training.com.au/Pages/menuitem8859775ffeeb7888a392e51017a62dbc.aspx