NAME OF COLLECTION
Labour Force Survey
Labour Force Estimates Section
Australian Bureau of Statistics
PO Box 10
BELCONNEN ACT 2616
Telephone: Canberra (02) 6252 6525
Facsimile: Canberra (02) 6252 7784
To measure the levels of employment and unemployment over time.
Data provide estimates of labour force characteristics such as employment, unemployment, number of persons in the labour force, unemployment rates and participation rates. A household-based, sample survey is conducted monthly by personal interview.
- employment and unemployment;
- participation rate;
- unemployment rate;
- persons not in the labour force;
- status in employment (employers, own account workers, employees or contributing family workers);
- hours worked;
- industry and occupation;
- sex, age, marital status, country of birth, family status, educational attendance;
- full-time and part-time status; and
- duration of unemployment.
Estimates for employed persons classified by industry, occupation and status in employment are available for each February, May, August and November.
In relation to tourism, data are available on the characteristics of employed persons in the accommodation, cafes and restaurants industry, as well as the cultural and recreational services industry.
Australia, States and Territories and regional estimates.
Frequency of data availability
Monthly: Data are released within four weeks after the reference period.
Quarterly: Data relating to industry, occupation and status of worker are released within four weeks after the reference period.
February 1978. Regional data are available monthly from October 1982.
Products and services available
Electronic information services:
Example of Information Available
- PCAUSSTATS (02) 6252 6017
- Internet: /www.abs.gov.au
- Special data services are available on request. Inquiries should be made to the Contact officer or any ABS office.