NAME OF COLLECTION
Output and Dissemination Group
Australian Bureau of Statistics
GPO Box 796
SYDNEY NSW 2001
Telephone: Sydney 02 9268 4541
Facsimile: Sydney 02 9268 4599
Web site: <www.abs.gov.au>
To provide structure and performance information about manufacturing businesses and commodity sales data. Included among the industries and commodities covered by the collection are those involved in downstream processing of minerals.
A census of manufacturing businesses is conducted every five years. In other years, a survey of a sample of businesses is conducted.
Data are collected by mail questionnaire.
From the 2001-02 collection, this survey will move to a new collection strategy, utilising the greater availability of business taxation data.
Main data detail
Australia. Some state and territory data are available. Regional data are available for the years when censuses are conducted
- wages and salaries;
- turnover before 2000-01;
- sales and service income from 2000-01;
- industry value added - replaced industry gross product from 1997-98;
- direct exports (i.e. exports undertaken directly by the manufacturer); and
- commodities including processed and refined minerals.
Frequency of data availability
Year ended 30 June.
Data are available from 1968-69, except for 1970-71 and 1985-86 when no collection was undertaken.
Products and services
Example of information available
- Special data services are available on request - data which can be obtained include commodity production, operating expenses, capital expenditure and profits data.
SELECTED MINERAL PROCESSING INDUSTRIES, AUSTRALIA, 1999-2000
at 30 June
|2631||Cement and lime manufacturing|
|2711||Basic iron and steel manufacturing|