|Page tools: Print Page Print All|
1. The Functional Classification of Buildings (FCB) is a classification primarily to classify buildings according to the stated predominant function or purpose.
3. For the purpose of this primary application a building is a rigid, fixed and permanent structure which has a roof. Its intended purpose is primarily to house people, plant, machinery, vehicles, goods or livestock. An integral feature of a building's design is the provision for regular access by persons in order to satisfy its intended use.
4. For these collections the function of the completed building is determined at the time the building approval is lodged.
5. As the classification encompasses all building types it can be used for other applications.
6. A concordance with a subset of the FCB is also to classify buildings in the ABS survey collections such as the Population Census and monthly Labour Force Surveys. For more information please refer to the 'Relationship with Social Classifications' section of this document.