Studies the anatomy, physiology, biochemistry and ecology of plants.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification.
- investigates the effects of environmental factors such as rainfall, temperature, sunlight, soil, topography and disease on plant growth
- grows plants under controlled conditions to determine optimum environmental factors, assess the significance of environmental and genetic variables, and examine patterns of plant evolution
- studies the nature and occurrence of plant chromosomes, cells and tissues
- makes field and laboratory studies of plant groups to compile and revise natural classifications
- prepares or supervises the preparation of laboratory reports and scientific papers
- may prepare handbooks for identification of plants
- may supervise and coordinate the work of technical officers and technicians
- may search for, identify and classify new species of plants
- may work with other scientists to develop drugs, medicines and other products from plants
Follow us on...Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Instagram