4122-15 Welder (First Class)
Fabricates and repairs metal products by welding metals.
The entry requirement for this occupation is an AQF Certificate III or higher qualification. Registration or licensing may be required.
- studies blueprints, drawings or specifications to determine appropriate welding processes and other job requirements
- cleans and prepares metal surfaces for welding by flame-cutting, thermal cutting, gouging, bevelling, grinding or filing
- preheats thick materials to required temperatures
- fits attachments, connects hoses to gas tanks, or wires to power sources of equipment used in welding operations
- adjusts controls to regulate gas pressure, voltage or amperage
- opens valves or switches and lights torches, strikes arcs or starts machines
- guides torches or electrodes along lines of weld manually or by operating machine controls
- cleans and smooths welds by filing, chiselling or grinding
- cuts metal shapes using flame and thermal cutting torches
- may set up welding machines for other operators
Special Class Welder
Follow us on...Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Instagram