UNIT GROUP 9913 PAVING AND SURFACING LABOURERS
PAVING AND SURFACING LABOURERS perform routine tasks to spread, level and compact bituminous and other paving material on roads, runways or parking areas.
The entry requirement for this unit group is completion of compulsory secondary education or higher qualification.
- sweeping paving bases prior to laying asphalt or other surfaces
- sprinkling or brushing hot or cold-mix asphalt over surfaces to be paved or repaired to bond asphalt toppings to bases
- operating tank-truck distributors or hoses to spray tar and road oils and emulsions on graded surfaces prior to paving
- tripping tail-gate levers to discharge hot-mix asphalt into paving machines, or spread stone chips, gravel or cold-mix asphalt on to road surfaces
- cutting and trimming damaged surfaces using jack-hammers and softening edges of areas to be repaired with blowtorches
- shovelling asphalt mix into areas inaccessible to paving machines, and compacting mix using rakes and hand tampers
Follow us on...Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Instagram