2129-21 Naval Architect
Designs and oversees the construction and repair of marine craft and floating structures.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification. Licensing or registration may be required.
- studies design proposals and specifications, to establish the basic characteristics of marine craft, such as size, weight, speed, propulsion, armament, cargo, displacement, draft, crew and passenger complements, and fresh or salt water service
- oversees construction and the testing of prototype models
- develops sectional and waterline curves of hulls to establish centre of gravity, ideal hull form and buoyancy and stability data
- designs complete hull and superstructures according to specifications and test data to conform with standards of safety, efficiency and economy
- designs the layout of craft interiors, including cargo space and passenger compartments
- confers with other engineers about propulsion, heating, ventilation systems and other functional equipment
- evaluates performance of craft during dock and sea trials
- determines design changes and conformity with national and international standards
Follow us on...Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Instagram