UNIT GROUP 3493 ABORIGINAL AND TORRES STRAIT ISLANDER HEALTH WORKERS
ABORIGINAL AND TORRES STRAIT ISLANDER HEALTH WORKERS liaise with patients, clients and visitors to hospitals and health clinics and work as team members to arrange, coordinate or provide health care delivery in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community health clinics.
The entry requirement for this unit group is an AQF Diploma or higher qualification or at least 3 years relevant experience. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification.
- maintaining health records and statistics
- acting as an advocate in the community they serve, and as a communicator and interpreter on behalf of clients and other health personnel
- providing clinical functions, including case management and follow-up, independently or in consultation with other health care providers
- providing health education to individual clients and health staff
- providing cultural education to persons outside the cultural community and life skills education to the community they serve