UNIT GROUP 2122 QUANTITY SURVEYORS
QUANTITY SURVEYORS estimate and monitor construction costs from the feasibility stage, through tender preparation, to the construction period and beyond.
The entry requirement for this unit group is a bachelor degree or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification.
- studying architectural and engineering drawings and specifications to estimate total costs
- consulting with architects, builders and engineers, financiers, developers and owners
- preparing detailed cost plans and estimates as tools for budgetary control
- administering construction contracts, measuring and approving progress payments
- monitoring changes of design, assessing effects on cost, and measuring, valuing and negotiating variations to designs
- advising on costs of alterations to existing buildings or structures, on various materials and construction methods, and on alternative contractual procedures and clauses