1312-11 Mixed Livestock Farmer
Plans, directs, coordinates and performs farming operations to breed and raise mixed livestock.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification or at least 5 years relevant experience. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification.
- plans and implements breeding programs
- monitors and maintains health and condition of stock
- provides pastures and fodder to maintain appropriate nutritional levels
- moves stock to optimise feeding opportunities
- directs and oversees general farming activities such as fertilising, pest and weed control
- maintains farm buildings, fences, water systems and equipment
- organises the sale, purchase and transportation of livestock
- maintains and evaluates records of farming activities, monitors market activity and plans production accordingly
- manages business capital, including budgeting, taxation, debt and loan management
- may select, train and supervise staff and contractors