2231-17 Applications and Analyst Programmer
Writes, tests and maintains computer programs to meet the application needs of end-users of computer systems.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification or at least 5 years relevant experience. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification.
- assists systems designers in researching and documenting computer users' requirements
- participates in writing specifications for computer systems and producing the components of computer programs.
- analyses objectives and problems specified by systems designers
- translates the formalised solutions provided by systems designers into detailed program specifications
- prepares detailed logical designs to establish the order in which data is processed, points at which decisions must be made and the sequence of operations
- writes programs as lists of instructions in computer languages or machine code, working from formalised representations of solutions
- tests the validity and logic of programs and makes amendments
- prepares reports, manuals and documentation on the status, operation and maintenance of system software for use by computer equipment suppliers, systems designers, programmers and computer operators
- may analyse, review and rewrite programs and component modules of programs