Makes and repairs jewellery such as rings, brooches, chains and bracelets.
The entry requirement for this occupation is an AQF Certificate III or higher qualification.
- studies designs and specifications for jewellery
- prepares wax moulds and pours molten precious metal into moulds for jewellery
- shapes moulded metal by cutting, filing, beating, turning and bending, using specialised hand and power tools
- secures precious stones in retaining prongs or ridges and smooths and checks final settings
- assembles articles by soldering, screwing together or otherwise attaching parts
- finishes articles using files, emery paper or buffing machines
- repairs jewellery by soldering, replacing or rebuilding worn and broken parts
- examines designs, shapes mountings and decorates and finishes jewellery settings
- appraises the quality and value of jewellery
- restyles old jewellery
- may design jewellery