4112-13 Metal Machinist (First Class)
Sets up and operates machine tools to shape and form metal stock and castings to fine tolerances, using detailed drawings and specifications.
The entry requirement for this occupation is an AQF Certificate III or higher qualification.
- studies drawings or specifications to determine suitable materials, and methods and sequences of operations, using knowledge of metal properties, machining techniques and workshop mathematics
- lifts or hoists and secures metal stock onto machine tools, and measures and marks out reference points using measuring instruments
- selects cutting tools and speed, pressure and depth of cuts
- adjusts guides, stops and controls on machine tools to ensure that stock is machined to specifications
- operates machine tools to produce articles by turning, boring, milling, planing, shaping, slotting, grinding or drilling metal stock
- controls the flow of lubricant on to cutting tool edges or surfaces
- may clean, lubricate and maintain machine tools
- may sharpen or true-cut tools or machining surfaces
- may use tracer attachments to copy model workpieces
- may machine non-metallic materials, such as plastic
- may set up, program and operate numerically controlled machine tools
Metal Machine Setter