Makes, repairs, sets and sharpens blades for circular, band and other saws.
The entry requirement for this occupation is an AQF Certificate III or higher qualification.
- selects sheetmetal stock appropriate to the size and type of blades to be manufactured
- straightens and stretches stock to desired shape using rolling machines
- installs dies in power presses and operates presses to cut teeth
- operates grinding and boring machines to trim and sharpen pressed teeth, and to install mounting pinholes in blades
- welds or brazes ends of bandsaws
- checks blade and teeth dimensions against specifications using precision measuring instruments such as micrometers and gauges
- cuts broken teeth from saws using power shears, bevels sheared joints, and brazes or welds new teeth to blades, using grinding machines and brazing or welding equipment
- sets teeth to ensure specified width of cuts using hand tools
- adjusts saw-sharpening machines to obtain required distances between saw teeth, angles of bevel and depths of cut
- operates machines to sharpen teeth
- may manually sharpen teeth