9913-11 Paving and Surfacing Labourer
Performs routine tasks to spread, level and compact bituminous and other paving material on roads, runways or parking areas.
The entry requirement for this occupation is completion of compulsory secondary education or higher qualification.
- sweeps paving bases prior to laying asphalt or other surfaces
- sprinkles or brushes hot or cold-mix asphalt over surfaces to be paved or repaired to bond asphalt toppings to bases
- operates tank-truck distributors or hoses to spray tar and road oils and emulsions on graded surfaces prior to paving
- trips tail-gate levers to discharge hot-mix asphalt into paving machines, or spread stone chips, gravel or cold-mix asphalt on to road surfaces
- cuts and trims damaged surfaces using jack-hammers and softens edges of areas to be repaired with blowtorches
- shovels asphalt mix into areas inaccessible to paving machines, and compacts mix using rakes and hand tampers
- erects and dismantles barricades
- loads and unloads equipment, and cleans work sites
- may direct traffic