Wood Lathe Turning Operator
Operates wood turning lathes to turn and shape wood stock.
The entry requirement for this occupation is an AQF Certificate III or higher qualification.
- studies drawings or reads work orders or specifications to determine set-up data
- positions and secures wood stock in lathes
- adjusts turning speeds to size of work
- positions and clamps tool rests
- starts machines, places gauge chisels on tool rests in contact with stock and reduces square stock to rough cylinders
- lays out cutting lines according to drawings
- resets speed control to speed appropriate for diameter of workpieces
- places chisels against rotating workpieces to cut shapes
- may smooth surfaces of work by holding sandpaper against rotating workpieces
- may apply wax or other finishes to workpieces