4985-11 Fire Fighter
Controls and extinguishes fires and protects life and property.
The entry requirement for this occupation is an AQF Certificate III or higher qualification.
- responds to fire alarms and emergency calls
- drives or accompanies fire-fighting appliances or other vehicles to scenes of fire or accident
- operates pumps, sprays water, foam or chemicals from hoses, portable extinguishers or other appliances to extinguish fires or to disperse or neutralise dangerous substances such as petroleum and chemicals
- rescues people stranded or trapped in dangerous situations using ladders or elevating platforms
- cuts openings in buildings and crashed vehicles to free occupants
- administers first aid
- participates in fire drills, demonstrations and courses in fire-fighting techniques
- advises on fire safety
- visits buildings and potential fire hazards to study access points and locations of hydrants
- services and maintains equipment and hydrants
- may inspect buildings for fire hazards
Fire Engineer (Army)
Fire Prevention Officer