3101.0 - Australian Demographic Statistics, Sep 2012 Quality Declaration
ARCHIVED ISSUE Released at 11:30 AM (CANBERRA TIME) 23/04/2013
|Page tools: Print Page Print All|
Australia to reach 23 million on 23 April 2013
Australia's Population Clock is due to reach 23 million at 9:57pm tonight, according to Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) website.
The Director of ABS Demography, Bjorn Jarvis, said the ABS Population Clock gives an indication of what the population is estimated to be, based on a 12 month projection.
"I know I'll be watching the clock eagerly as we make our way towards 23 million this evening," Mr Jarvis said.
"The 23rd millionth person could be a new born baby, but could equally be a person coming to work in Australia or a returning backpacker who has been away for more than a year."
Net overseas migration accounted for 60 per cent of Australia's total growth, with the remaining 40 per cent due to natural increase for the year ending 30 September 2012, suggesting it is less likely to be a new born baby.
"This is the highest annual increase in net overseas migration in almost five years," Mr Jarvis said.
Since reaching 20 million in late 2003, there has been around three years between each million person increase, with the population reaching 21 million in 2007 and 22 million in 2010.
Media note: When reporting ABS data you must attribute the Australian Bureau of Statistics (or the ABS) as the source.
These documents will be presented in a new window.