Industry is classified according to the Australian and New Zealand Standard Industrial Classification (ANZSIC), 2006 (cat. no. 1292.0).
A job vacancy is a job available for immediate filling on the survey reference date and for which recruitment action had been taken. Recruitment action includes efforts to fill vacancies by advertising, by factory notices, by notifying public or private employment agencies or trade unions and by contacting, interviewing or selecting applicants already registered with the enterprise or organisation.
Estimates of job vacancies exclude:
- jobs not available for immediate filling on the survey reference date;
- jobs for which no recruitment action has been taken;
- jobs which became vacant on the survey date and were filled on the same day;
- jobs of less than one day's duration;
- jobs only available to be filled by internal applicants within an organisation;
- jobs to be filled by employees returning from paid or unpaid leave or after industrial disputes;
- not available for immediate filling on the survey reference date;
- vacancies for work to be carried out by contractors;
- jobs for which a person has been appointed but has not yet commenced duty.
The reference date for the survey is the third Friday of the middle month of the quarter.
Public sector comprises local government authorities and all government departments and agencies created by, or reporting to the Commonwealth or State/Territory Parliaments. The private sector comprises all organisations not classified as public sector.