2513-19 Student Counsellor
Provides guidance to students, parents and teachers over a wide range of matters, including students' personal problems, learning difficulties and special requirements.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification.
- contributes information, understanding and advice on the learning and behaviour of students, especially those with special needs, and assists parents and teachers in dealing with these needs
- diagnoses learning difficulties by the use of psychological evaluation and interpretation
- assists teachers to design, change or improve class programs
- provides assistance in the educational and behavioural adjustment or management of students
- undertakes individual counselling with students and their parents regarding educational, behavioural or emotional problems
- may run workshops for parents regarding complex aspects of raising children
- may counsel students at schools, TAFE colleges or university