Presides over civil and criminal proceedings in courts of law.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification and appointment by the government or crown. A judge must have a been a magistrate or an experienced legal practitioner of at least 7 years standing.
- conducts trials and hearings
- hears and considers legal argument, evidence and submissions
- passes judgements and sentences, awards damages and issues court orders
- decides appeals and determines questions of law in accordance with established procedures
- may instruct juries on matters of law
- may conduct tribunals, royal commissions and other official inquiries
- may determine constitutional issues and questions
Family Court Justice
High Court Justice