2534-13 Print Journalist
Collects and analyses facts about newsworthy events by interview, investigation or observation and writes stories for newspapers, magazines and journals.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification or at least 5 years relevant experience. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification.
- researches and compiles news stories for newspapers, magazines and journals
- interviews people and observes events to obtain and verify facts and to develop leads for news items
- takes notes and reads publicity releases, copies of speeches or similar material to facilitate organisation and writing of story
- writes to meet deadline, referring to reference books, newspaper files or other sources to secure additional facts
- submits news stories for approval
- reads and evaluates news reports and suggestions for future stories
- critically discusses daily news topics in the editorial columns of newspapers and review books, films or plays
- may write particular segments of the publication, such as news commentaries or sports, fashion or educational segments