UNIT GROUP 4414 BRICKLAYERS
BRICKLAYERS lay bricks, precut stone, concrete blocks and other types of building blocks in mortar to construct and repair veneer and solid walls, foundations, partitions, arches and other structures.
The entry requirement for this unit group is an AQF Certificate III or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification.
- sealing foundations with damp-resistant materials
- spreading layers of mortar to serve as base and binder for blocks, using trowels
- laying bricks or blocks in rows, designs or shapes and spreading mortar between joints
- checking vertical and horizontal alignment
- shaping bricks to fit irregular spaces and constructing arches and ornamental brickwork