2414-13 Teacher of the Hearing Impaired
Teaches academic and living skills to hearing impaired students and promotes students' social, emotional, intellectual and physical development.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification. Registration or licensing is required.
- assesses students' capabilities and designs appropriate learning activities
- assists students to develop residual hearing, lip reading and speaking ability
- instructs students in the formation of sounds for speech, using special techniques and devices such as high-powered hearing aids and visual aids
- plans curricula and prepares lessons and other instructional materials
- observes and evaluates the abilities and skills of hearing impaired students and prepares reports on their progress
- may work with parents on a variety of learning and follow-up programs