Plans, directs, coordinates and operates apiaries to produce honey, queen bee pollen, beeswax, royal jelly and to pollinate crops.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification or at least 5 years relevant experience. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification.
- purchases, assembles, maintains and repairs beehives, protective clothing and associated equipment
- transports beehives to apiary sites which have been assessed for honey production potential and re-queens colonies as appropriate
- inserts honeycombs into beehives
- removes bees from beehives, removes honey from honeycombs and packages honey for sale
- organises the sale of honey and other produce, and negotiates the sale and purchase of bees
- maintains and evaluates records of apiary activities, monitors market activity and plans production accordingly
- manages business capital, including budgeting, taxation, debt and loan management
- may negotiate with farmers to provide pollination services and lease beehives for crop pollination
- may process and clean beeswax
- may select, train and supervise staff and contractors