2414-15 Teacher of the Sight Impaired
Teaches academic and living skills to sight impaired students and promotes students' social, emotional, intellectual and physical development.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification. Registration or licensing is required.
- assesses students' capabilities and designs appropriate learning activities
- assists students to develop their other senses and learn daily living skills
- instructs students in reading and writing Braille, using aids such as a Braille writer, typewriter and an Optacon machine to convert visual images to vibrations
- plans curricula and prepares lessons and other instructional materials
- observes and evaluates the progress of sight impaired students and prepares reports on their progress
- may work with parents on a variety of learning and follow-up programs