UNIT GROUP 2388 PODIATRISTS
PODIATRISTS prevent, diagnose and treat medical and surgical conditions of the feet, including those resulting from bone and joint disorders, muscular pathologies as well as neurological and circulatory diseases.
The entry requirement for this unit group is a bachelor degree or higher qualification.
- examining patients' feet to determine the nature and extent of conditions, deformities or injuries
- examining and treating foot disabilities of paralysis, ulceration and malfunction caused by diseases such as diabetes, peripheral vascular disorders, rheumatoid arthritis and other neuropathies
- prescribing and arranging the fabrication of footwear to correct foot disabilities
- performing minor surgery to remove or ameliorate abnormal conditions
- prescribing and fitting replaceable pads, palliative and functional supports and other devices for the protection and correction of foot abnormalities
- advising patients about continued treatment and foot care to prevent recurrences