UNIT GROUP 4112 METAL FITTERS AND MACHINISTS
METAL FITTERS AND MACHINISTS set up machining tools, production machines and textile machines, operate machining tools and machines to shape metal stock and castings and fit and assemble the fabricated metal parts into products.
The entry requirement for this unit group is an AQF Certificate III or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification.
- studying drawings or specifications to determine suitable material, method and sequence of operations, and machine settings
- setting guides, stops and other controls on machining tools, setting up prescribed cutting or shaping tools or dies in machines or presses, or setting controls for textile machines
- forming metal stock or castings to fine tolerances using machining tools to press, cut, grind, plane, bore or drill metal
- fitting fabricated metal parts into products and assembling metal parts and sub-assemblies to produce machinery and equipment
- checking fabricated and assembled metal parts for accuracy, clearance and fit using precision measuring instruments
- preparing pattern mechanisms to control the operation of textile machines used to spin, weave, knit, sew and tuft fabric