2549-21 Museum or Gallery Curator
Plans and organises museum and gallery collections.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification or at least 5 years relevant experience. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification. Registration or licensing may be required.
- drafts collection policies, arranges acquisitions and collects objects
- liaises with other curators to arrange special exhibitions
- identifies and classifies specimens or objects and arranges restoration work
- examines items or arranges examinations to determine condition and authenticity
- organises and prepares displays including travelling or loan exhibitions
- initiates and maintains research programs, and assists other professionals on request
- supervises support staff and organises administrative duties associated with the use and care of the collections
- may lecture and write about the collections and answer public inquiries