UNIT GROUP 2115 MEDICAL SCIENTISTS
MEDICAL SCIENTISTS conduct medical laboratory tests to develop applications for the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of disease and testing of drugs for therapeutic use.
The entry requirement for this unit group is a bachelor degree or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification.
- analysing samples of body tissue and fluids to develop techniques to aid in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases
- preparing tissue sections for microscopic examination
- examining and analysing samples to study the effects of microbial infections
- advising medical practitioners on the interpretation of tests and methods for use in the diagnosis and treatment of disease
- preparing scientific papers and reports