2119-19 Materials Scientist
Studies the properties and uses of non-metallic materials and advises on the technical aspects of their manufacture and processing.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification.
- studies the properties of non-metallic materials such as ceramics, polymers and plastics, composite materials and rubbers
- manages and performs laboratory investigations, testing and evaluations of materials and products
- plans and undertakes experimental production of non-metallic materials
- determines criteria for the selection of non-metallic materials, and establishes the requirements for protection against deterioration
- consults with other scientists and engineers on the development and production of non-metallic materials