4981-13 Boat Builder and Repairer
Builds, repairs or modifies boats.
The entry requirement for this occupation is an AQF Certificate III or higher qualification. Registration or licensing may be required.
- examines drawings and constructs templates from full-scale outlines
- scribes lines from templates and cuts and forms parts such as keels, stern posts, ribs and sidings
- assembles boat shells, fastens sidings or ribs to keels and covers with planking
- builds and installs structures such as cabins, machinery mountings, propeller supports and rudders
- installs decking, masts, booms and ladders
- determines repair requirements and procedures
- may make hull moulds and fabricate or repair vessels using materials such as aluminium, wood, glass reinforced plastics, carbon fibre, kevlar, fibreglass or concrete
- may order materials, prepare cost estimates and quotations