UNIT GROUP 2513 COUNSELLORS
COUNSELLORS assess peoples' needs and provide information and advice on educational, vocational, relationship or social difficulties and issues.
The entry requirement for this unit group is a bachelor degree or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification.
- consulting with clients to develop rehabilitation plans taking account of vocational, social, medical and psychological needs
- assisting clients with employment placement and matters relating to education and training, through negotiation with community agencies, employers, unions, education and training authorities, government representatives and insurance companies
- assessing client needs in relation to treatment for drug abuse
- employing appropriate therapeutic models and interventions as a method of treatment and support for the client
- assisting the understanding and adjustment of attitudes, expectations and behaviour to develop more effective interpersonal relationships
- providing information and resources to assist clients with job-seeking skills
- contributing information, understanding and advice on the learning and behaviour of students, especially those with special needs, and assisting parents and teachers in dealing with these needs