Directs and manages nursing programs and clinical services in hospitals, nursing homes and other health service facilities and maintains standards of nursing care.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification and at least 5 years relevant experience. In some instances relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualification. Registration or licensing is required.
- determines the nursing policies of the hospital or health service facility and develops organisational structure and standards of performance
- directs nursing staff
- interprets policies, procedures and objectives of the nursing service to medical and administrative staff and community groups
- promotes working relationships with community agencies
- prepares or assists in the preparation of the nursing budget and contributes to the overall organisational budget
- establishes personnel qualification requirements, directs the preparation of procedure manuals and implements records and reporting systems
- initiates studies to evaluate the effectiveness of nursing services in the organisation in relation to objectives, costs, and nursing care
- may direct on-site nursing education programs and may assist with nursing curricula