1192-11 Importer or Exporter
Plans, organises and administers the operations of a business which imports or exports goods.
The entry requirement for this occupation is usually a bachelor degree or higher qualification or at least 5 years relevant experience. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification.
- identifies local and overseas business opportunities and determines the mix of products and services to be provided and negotiates conditions of sale with producers
- researches regulatory and statutory requirements affecting the import and export of goods to and from Australia
- liaises with customs officers and other government representatives to ensure that goods being imported are legal, and meet Australian standards
- develops a business plan and implements marketing, operating, personnel, pricing and credit policy and procedures
- appoints agents and/or distributors
- arranges the shipping of goods to and from Australia
- monitors the performance of the business and prepares estimates, financial statements and reports of import-export operations
- may provide quotes to customers and organise promotional campaigns for the business or for customers' products