Plans, directs, coordinates and performs farming operations to breed horses.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification or at least 5 years relevant experience. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification.
- studies records of bloodlines, physical appearance and performance characteristics of horses to determine breeding combinations
- selects stock for sale and arranges purchase of bloodstock
- monitors and maintains health and condition of stock
- mates selected mares and stallions
- directs and oversees exercising of horses
- provides pastures and fodder to maintain appropriate nutritional levels
- directs and oversees general farming activities such as growing fodder and grain, fertilising, pest and weed control
- maintains farm buildings, fences, water systems and equipment
- maintains and evaluates records of farming activities including records of breeding, dietary and other stud information
- manages business capital, including budgeting, taxation, debt and loan management
- may select, train and supervise staff and contractors