Plans, directs, coordinates and performs farming operations to grow sugar cane.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification or at least 5 years relevant experience. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification.
- plans and manages the production and marketing of sugar cane from soil preparation to harvest taking into account environmental and market factors
- selects and plants cane stalks and shaves stubble to encourage regrowth
- burns crops prior to harvest to remove leaves, weeds and other extraneous matter which impedes harvesting and milling operations
- determines harvest timing in consultation with mill management and harvests crops using mobile agricultural plant equipment such as harvesters and bin haul-out tractors
- directs and oversees general farming activities such as fertilising, pest and weed control, and transport of harvest to the mill
- maintains farm buildings, fences, equipment and water supply systems
- organises the sale, purchase and transportation of produce
- maintains and evaluates records of farming activities, monitors market activity and plans crop preparation and production to meet contract requirements and market demand
- manages business capital, including budgeting, taxation, debt and loan management
- may select, train and supervise staff and contractors