Creates or modifies musical compositions, such as songs, operas, symphonies, musical scores and advertising jingles.
The entry requirement for this occupation is a bachelor degree or higher qualification or at least 5 years relevant experience. This occupation requires high levels of creative talent or personal commitment and interest as well as, or in place of, formal qualifications or experience.
- creates melodic, harmonic and rhythmic structures to express ideas and emotions in musical form
- translates ideas and concepts into standard musical signs and symbols for reproduction and performance
- plays musical instruments to assist with composing
- undertakes research and liaises with clients when composing film or television scores, advertising jingles and other commissioned works
- may specialise in one type of music or in compositions for particular instruments
- may work with other composers and musicians
- may conduct or perform own compositions