UNIT GROUP 4513 COOKS
COOKS prepare, season and cook food in catering and dining establishments. Chefs, Kitchenhands and Fast Food Cooks are excluded from this unit group. Chefs are included in Unit Group 3322 Chefs. Kitchenhands and Fast Food Cooks are included in Minor Group 993 Elementary Food Preparation and Related Workers.
The entry requirement for this unit group is an AQF Certificate III or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification.
- examining foodstuffs to ensure quality
- regulating temperatures of ovens, grills and other cooking equipment
- preparing and cooking food
- seasoning food during cooking
- portioning food, placing it in dishes, adding gravies or sauces, and garnishes
- storing food in temperature controlled facilities