UNIT GROUP 2382 PHARMACISTS
PHARMACISTS compound and dispense pharmaceuticals and other drugs and medicines and conduct research on production, storage, quality control and distribution of drugs and related supplies.
The entry requirement for this unit group is a bachelor degree or higher qualification.
- preparing or directing preparation and labelling of liquid medicines, ointments, powders, tablets and other medications to fill prescriptions
- receiving prescriptions and checking for correct dosage and drug compatibility before dispensing
- advising on drug incompatibility and contra-indications
- maintaining prescription files and recording issue of narcotics, poisons and habit forming drugs
- conducting research to develop or improve pharmaceuticals, cosmetics and related chemical products
- conferring with chemists, engineers and other professionals about manufacturing techniques and ingredients and testing and analysing drugs to determine identity, purity and strength
- selling non-prescription drugs, sickroom supplies, toiletries, cosmetics and other commercial products