JUNE QUARTER KEY FIGURES
Jun qtr 03
Mar qtr 03 to Jun qtr 03
Jun qtr 02 to Jun qtr 03
|Value of work done(a) ($m)|
|New residential building ($m)|
|Alterations and additions(b) ($m)|
|Non-residential building ($m) |
|Total dwelling units commenced (no.)|
|New private sector houses (no.)|
|(a) Chain volume measures, reference year 2001-02.|
(b) To residential buildings.
VALUE OF WORK DONE
VALUE OF WORK COMMENCED
JUNE QUARTER KEY POINTS
VALUE OF WORK DONE, SEASONALLY ADJUSTED, VOLUME TERMS
- In seasonally adjusted terms, total building work done fell 4.9% in the June quarter 2003 to $2,001.7m.
- New residential building work done fell 4.3% to $1,303.0m, following nine consecutive quarterly increases. New houses fell 6.1% to $874.2m, the lowest level since the December quarter 2001. New other residential buildings fell by a marginal 0.5% to $428.8m, still the third highest level on record. Alterations and additions rose 5.7% to $175.2m, a level exceeded only by the September quarter 2002.
- Non-residential building work fell 9.1% to $523.6m, the lowest level since the March quarter 1994.
VALUE OF WORK COMMENCED, ORIGINAL, VOLUME TERMS
- Total building work commenced rose 26.8% in the June quarter to $2,309.9m.
- New residential commencements rose 24.7% to $1,517.5m, the third highest level on record. New houses rose 17.3% to $925.8m, while new other residential buildings rose 38.4% to $591.7m, a level exceeded only by the September quarter 2002. Alterations and additions rose 4.5% to $161.6m, also a level exceeded only by the September quarter 2002.
- Non-residential commencements rose 40.1% to $630.8m, following a fall of 40.7% in the previous quarter.
NUMBER OF DWELLING UNITS COMMENCED, SEASONALLY ADJUSTED
- In seasonally adjusted terms, the total number of dwellings commenced rose 1.5% in the June quarter to 8,825, while new private sector houses fell 1.1% to 5,774, the lowest number since the June quarter 2001.
For further information about these and related statistics, contact Tony Bammann on Adelaide 08 8237 7316, or the National Information and referral Service on 1300 135 070.
ABOUT THIS ISSUE
This publication contains the first detailed estimates for Queensland from the quarterly Building Activity Survey. The data are subject to revision when returns from the following quarter are processed. Final data for the June quarter 2003 will be released in Building Activity, Australia (cat. no. 8752.0) on 19 January 2004.
This June quarter 2003 issue is the final issue of this publication.
In future, all data in this publication will be available in other ABS products, viz:
- Building Activity, Australia (cat. no. 8752.0) - contains extensive state and territory data.
- A Building Activity data cube - contains a time series of most of the variables in this publication.
- The on-line AusStats service - under Building Activity, Australia (cat. no. 8752.0).
Some preliminary state and territory data is also available in other publications. Further information on these alternative sources and how to access them is in the following document:
NOTE FOR SUBSCRIBERS
The following document details the cessation of the quarterly state and territory building activitiy publications, and offers alternative sources for future data.
CHANGES IN THIS ISSUE
Quarterly chain volume data incorporate a new base year, 2001-02, which has resulted in revisions to growth rates, small in most cases, for subsequent periods. In addition, the reference year has been advanced to 2001-02, thereby preserving additivity in the quarters after the reference year. Re-referencing resulted in revisions to levels, but not growth rates, for all periods.
Seasonally adjusted and trend estimates have been revised as a result of the adoption of new seasonal adjustment methodology. Concurrent seasonal adjustment has replaced forward factor methodology for all seasonally adjusted series in this publication. See paragraphs 29 and 30 of the Explanatory Notes.
SIGNIFICANT REVISIONS THIS ISSUE
Compared with the estimates in original terms published in the previous issue of this publication :
- The ABS web site - in the Main Features for Building Activity, Australia (cat. no. 8752.0), which now includes some state and territory data for the value of work done.
- the total number of dwellings commenced during the March quarter 2003 has been revised downwards by 240 (-2.9%), and
- the total value of building work commenced during the March quarter has been revised downwards by $39.8m (-2.0%), including residential building down $18.1m (-1.2%) and non-residential building down $21.6m (-4.3%).